Yesterday, Charles P. Adkins of American Patriot responded to an SF post applauding the recently announced move by the US government to re-open an embassy in Cuba. The American Patriot is a self-described paleo-conservative of Southern roots who lives near Detroit. He writes that I am “absolutely full of crap about Cuba.” Adkins’ main argument is that “Cuba is a Communist Nation, whose leader is known to imprison and kill people that dare to stand up and dissent his rule.”
I promised a reply to the American Patriot post. Here are a few points to consider:
- I am not a man of the Left, or even of the Modern Right. My values are neo-classical. They do not come from the Enlightenment-inspired French or American revolutions. I am certainly no communist.
- The USA has politically and economically isolated Cuba for decades. It hasn’t brought down the Castro regime. It has only solidified the regime’s hold on power.
- Cuba has liberalized its economy a bit of late and shows signs that it wants to move away from at least some aspects of communism. As it does so it will become more like China, which has a communist party dictatorship but a state-capitalist economy.
- Cuba never had a purely Marxist government anyhow because it has a national communism rather than an international communism. Its people are quite nationalistic. Whatever form of government follows Castro’s regime will likely be influenced by nationalism.
- Because of its relative isolation and poverty Cuba has likely been less exposed to much of the degeneracy of Modernity and US/Western liberal values.
- Cuba is a close neighbor and therefore its conditions affect us. If its population is treated terribly and impoverished that results in mass immigration to the South of impoverished people. It is in our interest to trade and have good relations with Cuba.
- We in the South share a lot of history with Cuba and both are post-plantation cultures. I favor a certain degree of solidarity among the Western people of the post-plantation cultures. We face a lot of the same problems.
- Most Modern governments persecute dissenters. The USA killed hundreds of thousands of my people and continues to oppress us and seek our demographic and cultural destruction. Lincoln, FDR, Bush, Obama and Castro were/are all men of the Left who are/were willing to oppress or kill dissenters. Instead of one party rule we have two party rule in which both parties have the same underlying values and agree on most policies. We are forced to deal with this awful system just as Cubans are forced to deal with their awful system.
- Finally, I approach this issue from a Southern nationalist point of view. My over-riding concern is for the welfare of the Southern people.